USED BY MANY. TRUSTED BY LEADING BRANDS.
How to Make Timelines in 5 Steps
Use the timeline maker to create a visual story of your company or your business journey. Choose from one of many easy-to-customize templates. Change the icons, colors, backgrounds, and fonts to match your theme. Make the template longer or shorter at any time. Add animations and easily embed on your site, share as a link or download as an image or PDF to insert anywhere or share on social media.
- Create a new project or select a template.
- On the left panel, click Data and select the Diagram icon.
- Drag and drop smart shapes or lines. You can also drag lines to attach to shapes.
- Save time by using pre-made blocks from the left panel.
- Edit the placeholder text with your own content and customize your timeline design.
Timeline Maker Features
Check out Visme's full suite of intuitive and easy-to-use features, helping you create stunning timelines and flowcharts in minutes.
Beautiful timeline templates.
Log into your Visme Dashboard and click the Infographics tab. Once inside, click on #timeline in the small directory next to the search box. Browse through all the available templates in the timeline maker.
Build your timeline
Once inside the timeline maker, change the icons and graphics with the options on the left-hand panel, or upload your own. Add photos from your computer, or find some in the Graphics tab. Quickly create your timeline with the built-in expansion tools.Create your timeline
Customize every aspect of your timeline to fit your story.
The timeline maker allows you to edit anything, from the position and size of elements to the color schemes, fonts and backgrounds. Apply a color scheme with one click or create your own.
Easily adjust the length of your timeline with the draggable button at the bottom of the canvas. Add images and crop them, insert icons and customize their color schemes or animate any element.
More great timeline features
What is a Timeline?
A timeline is a visual presentation or display of a list of events in chronological order. It is essentially a graphic that depicts a linear (sometimes curve) bar composed of labels containing dates in parallel to it.
Timelines are useful to visualize any type of development by providing the viewer an easy-to-understand history of events and helping to grasp the past and ongoing trends in that period of time.
Use the timeline maker to create a linear representation of important events
Choose one of the many templates in the timeline maker. Change the icons, colors, and backgrounds to fit your brand or story. Add your own images or use the ones provided in the left-hand Graphics panel.Create your timeline
More than a Timeline Maker
Visme gives you over 40 charts, graphs and data widgets to visualize your data, and transform stats and figures to a beautiful timeline and other visuals in your documents
VISUALIZE NUMBERS WITH A CLICK
- Infuse life into your statistics and figures by using our drag-and-drop data widgets
- Insert your own values with a single click or use the slider to visualize a value
- Adjust the color scheme of your data widget to fit your content and brand colors
Create your timeline
Images and Graphics
BEAUTIFY YOUR CONTENT
- Choose from millions of free images for commercial and editorial use
- Select from thousands of high-quality vector icons and adjust their color scheme to fit your content
- Tap into hundreds of pre-built content blocks to get a head start on your visual
Our easy to use timeline templates give you a quick and easy starting point to create your timeline. Visme timeline templates are your fast track to stunning looking visuals – simply choose a style from the our timeline examples below, and click to start editing.
How to Use the Timeline Maker
- Organize your timeline as a rough draft on a piece of paper. Have an idea of different sections in the timeline and a vision of the story you want to tell.
- Enter the Visme Timeline Maker by logging in to Visme and starting a new project.
- Click on the Infographics tab and choose #timeline from the directory next to the search bar. Otherwise, write “timeline” into the bar.
- Browse through the collection of timeline templates inside the timeline creator until you find one that best fits your vision. Click on the blue Use This button to see it in the editor.
- Change the icons, colors, and backgrounds in the template to match your theme. You can use the theme colors tab on the left-hand panel in the timeline creator or use your own color palette.
- Add your own photos or use some from the left-hand Graphics panel in the timeline maker. There are also plenty of graphics and icons to choose from.
- Customize the shapes to create a balanced design in the timeline maker. Choose your fonts and change their color and size to fit the composition.
- Download your infographic from the timeline maker as a PDF with bleed marks and print it as a poster to hang on your wall.
- Use the animation tools in the top right menu to create an interactive timeline. Simply add a movement to selected sections.
- Download the infographic from the timeline creator as an image and insert into an email or a blog post. Share it on social media, specially Pinterest which is great for vertical graphics.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you create a Visme account? Simply type www.visme.co in your address bar and create a free account with just your name and email.
Are the timeline templates completely customizable? Yes. The timeline generator lets you customize every single section of the template. You can change the icons, the graphics, the colors, the backgrounds, and fonts easily.
Can I create an interactive timeline? Yes. You can add animation to any section of your timeline infographic. The timeline maker will let you animate anything in the design. Remember to keep it balanced.
How much does it cost to make a timeline infographic with the timeline maker? Making a timeline with Visme is totally free. You can download or embed the finished graphic and use it however you want. If you would like to download it as a PDF with bleed marks, or an .html file, then you will need a Visme Standard Plan.
Can I change the length of the timeline template easily? Yes. There is a draggable button which lets you make the timeline longer or shorter. You can add content blocks to add more content to your timeline.
Can I use my Brand Kit when creating a timeline? Yes, of course! All your Brand Kit assets are available in the timeline maker. You can apply your color palette, fonts and logo easily.
Your Timelines deserve to be beautiful
…and so does the rest of your content
All-in-one Visual Communication Tool
Go beyond timelines. Visme is “the only” tool you’ll need to create all forms of visual content. Design beautiful and interactive Presentations and Infographics to Reports, Surveys, Social Graphics, and over 20 other content formats.