USED BY MANY. TRUSTED BY LEADING BRANDS.
How to Make Concept Maps in 5 Steps
The shapes and lines in the concept map maker can be expanded to limitless possibilities. Choose from various shapes and dozens of line styles and end points. Learn how to easily create concept maps online below.
- Log in to the Visme dashboard and click the flowchart icon in the Data tab.
- Click on it and choose the first shape to start your concept map.
- Click on your shape to drag your first arrow from the side of your choice.
- Add relevant text to the shapes and customize the color, size, and font.
- Download your finished design from the concept map creator as an image file.
Features of the Concept Map Maker
Need to create custom concept maps to help explain complex concepts and ideas to your audience or team? Visme makes it easy to make concept maps in minutes.
Beautiful concept map templates
Starting with a concept map template is a great way to jumpstart your design without having to create your concept map from scratch. Start with a basis for your diagram, then switch out shapes and line designs and rearrange the diagram to fit your concept.Create Your Concept Map
Build your concept map
Visme’s online concept map maker gives you the tools to create a concept map from scratch by adding shapes, connecting them to lines and moving them around the canvas to properly convey your concepts.
Customize every aspect of your concept map to better organize your thought process
Everything inside the free concept map maker can be customized. Enlarge or minimize the shapes while keeping the lines connected. Stretch and shrink the lines or connect more. Insert relevant text inside the shapes and customize the color and shape. Animate your concept map with the actions tab found in the top-right menu.
More Great Features of the Concept Map Maker
What is a Concept Map?
A concept map is a type of flowchart or diagram that demonstrates relationships between concepts. They can show the various jobs certain college degrees can lead to and their specializations, illustrate what different concepts can do and so much more.
Use the concept map maker to organize ideas and visualize concepts.
The free online concept map maker can be found inside the Data tab on the left-hand panel of the Visme editor. Select a shape to begin building your concept map. Use the customizable building tools in each shape to expand the concept map in the directions you need.Create Your Concept Map
More Than a Concept Map Maker
Visme’s free concept map diagram tool is so much more than your everyday concept map maker. With a variety of shapes and line designs to choose from, the ability to drag and drop different elements all over the canvas, and easy-to-use diagram-making capabilities, you’ll be able to make concept maps in minutes.
Icons and Data Widgets
- Visualize your statistics and figures with our easy-to-customize data widgets
- Browse through 10,000+ vector icons and graphics to visualize your content
- Customize the colors and size to fit your content and brand guidelines
Create Your Concept Map
Custom Concept Map Elements
- Choose from a variety of shapes and line designs to guide your flow
- Color code based on each level within your concept map
- Incorporate other charts and graphs into your design
Concept Map Templates
Of course you can easily create your own concept map from scratch, Visme also gives you the ability to choose from one of our professionally designed concept-map templates so that all you have to do is switch out the content, reconnect a few lines, change fonts and colors, and save.
How to Use the Concept Map Maker
- Decide on the concept or question you want to elaborate on. Write down the first idea as a title or main topic.
- Sketch a quick rough draft of your concept map to get an idea of the directions you want it to have.
- Log in to the Visme dashboard and choose a blank canvas or a concept map template.
- Click on the Data tab which is located on the left-hand panel. Choose the concept map tool from the menu.
- Select the first shape to start building the concept map. Try and stick to one type of shape for the entire concept map or use different shapes for sections that need to be differentiated from the rest.
- Use the integrated building tools inside each shape to grow the concept map in all directions.
- Customize the size of shapes and lines. If you need to move a line and shape to another section, just un-attach it and attach it somewhere else.
- Insert the title in the main shape and relevant text to the other shapes.
- Change the font, color, and size of the text inside your concept map.
- Download your diagram from the concept map maker and add it to an email or blog post. Embed an animated concept map to your website with just a little snippet of code.
Questions About the Concept Map Maker
How much does it cost to make a concept map with the concept map maker? You can create concept maps online for free with Visme. You can add a concept map to any project or create one on its own. Download it as an image file in one click. If you want to have an animated concept map and download an interactive .html file, you will need to upgrade to a Standard Plan.
Can I make an animated concept map? Yes! All sections in the concept map can be given an animated effect. When finished, you can embed it on your website, but if you want to download it as an interactive HTML5 file, you need a Standard Plan.
Is everything customizable inside the concept map maker? Yes. All shapes and lines inside the concept map maker are customizable in terms of size, color and position.
Can I use my Brand Kit with the concept map maker? Absolutely. When you have a Brand Kit set up in Visme, it is available for all sorts of projects, not only concept maps. To have a Brand Kit you need to purchase a Standard Plan.
Are there any concept map templates I can use? Yes. You can find some concept map templates inside the dashboard and we are creating more. Nonetheless, the concept map maker is so easy to use that you might not need a template at all.
If I move a shape to another position, will the lines disconnect? No, that is one of the best features of the concept map maker. When you move a shape or even change its size, the connected lines will not disconnect unless you choose to do so. This helps so much with composition and organization of thoughts.
Your concept maps deserve to be beautiful
…and so does the rest of your content
All-in-one Visual Communication Tool
Go beyond concept maps. Visme is the only tool you’ll need to create all forms of visual content.
Design beautiful and interactive presentations and infographics to reports, surveys, social graphics, and over 20 other content formats.