Chosen by brands large and small
Our timeline maker is used by over 10,209,854 marketers, communicators, executives and educators from over 120 countries that include:
How to Make Timelines in 5 Steps
Use the timeline maker to create a visual story of your company or your business journey. Choose from one of many easy-to-customize templates.
Change the icons, colors, backgrounds, and fonts to match your theme. Make the template longer or shorter at any time. Add animations and easily embed on your site, share as a link or download as an image or PDF to insert anywhere or share on social media.
- Create a new project or select a template.
- On the left panel, click Data and select the Diagram icon.
- Drag and drop smart shapes or lines. You can also drag lines to attach to shapes.
- Save time by using pre-made blocks from the left panel.
- Edit the placeholder text with your own content and customize your timeline design.
Timeline Maker Features
Check out Visme's full suite of intuitive and easy-to-use features, helping you create stunning timelines and flowcharts in minutes.
Beautiful timeline templates
Log into your Visme Dashboard and click the Infographics tab. Once inside, click on #timeline in the small directory next to the search box. Browse through all the available templates in the timeline maker.
Build your timeline
Once inside the timeline maker, change the icons and graphics with the options on the left-hand panel, or upload your own. Add photos from your computer, or find some in the Graphics tab. Quickly create your timeline with the built-in expansion tools.Create your timeline
More great timeline features
- Easy-to-customize templates to choose from and design
- Hundreds of thousands of icons and photos to add to your timelines
- Mix and match fonts and colors to make it your own
- Easy drag-and-drop design tools, made with the non-designer in mind
- Create a one-sided or two-sided timeline, or a vertical or horizontal timeline
- Quickly and easily download and print your new timelines
What is a Timeline?
A timeline is a visual presentation or display of a list of events in chronological order. It is essentially a graphic that depicts a linear (sometimes curve) bar composed of labels containing dates in parallel to it.
Timelines are useful to visualize any type of development by providing the viewer an easy-to-understand history of events and helping to grasp the past and ongoing trends in that period of time.Create your timeline
Use the timeline maker to create a linear representation of important events
Choose one of the many templates in the timeline maker. Change the icons, colors, and backgrounds to fit your brand or story. Add your own images or use the ones provided in the left-hand Graphics panel.
More than a Timeline Maker
Visme gives you over 40 charts, graphs and data widgets to visualize your data, and transform stats and figures to a beautiful timeline and other visuals in your documents
MAKE IT ENGAGING
Create interactive timelines with popup and rollover effects that allow your viewer to interact with your design to learn more information.
VISUALIZE NUMBERS WITH A CLICK
Charts & Graphs
Visualize information beautifully with charts, graphs, flowchart elements, data widgets and other customizable design assets.
BEAUTIFY YOUR CONTENT
Images and Graphics
Choose from over a million stock photos, icons, illustrations, animated graphics and more to create a completely unique timeline design.
Our easy to use timeline templates give you a quick and easy starting point to create your timeline. Visme timeline templates are your fast track to stunning-looking visuals – simply choose a style from the timeline examples below, and click to start editing.
How to Use the Timeline Maker
- Organize your timeline as a rough draft on a piece of paper. Have an idea of different sections in the timeline and a vision of the story you want to tell.
- Enter the Visme Timeline Maker by logging in to Visme and starting a new project.
- Click on the Infographics tab and choose #timeline from the directory next to the search bar. Otherwise, write “timeline” into the bar.
- Browse through the collection of timeline templates inside the timeline creator until you find one that best fits your vision. Click on the blue Use This button to see it in the editor.
- Change the icons, colors, and backgrounds in the template to match your theme. You can use the theme colors tab on the left-hand panel in the timeline creator or use your own color palette.
- Add your own photos or use some from the left-hand Graphics panel in the timeline maker. There are also plenty of graphics and icons to choose from.
- Customize the shapes to create a balanced design in the timeline maker. Choose your fonts and change their color and size to fit the composition.
- Download your infographic from the timeline maker as a PDF with bleed marks and print it as a poster to hang on your wall.
- Use the animation tools in the top right menu to create an interactive timeline. Simply add a movement to selected sections.
- Download the infographic from the timeline creator as an image and insert into an email or a blog post. Share it on social media, specially Pinterest which is great for vertical graphics.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
While there are many available timeline software, from Microsoft PowerPoint to Lucidchart, we think Visme is the perfect option for your brand to create easy-to-understand timeline designs. This is due to its ease of use as well as our extensive customization options and template library.
Yes. The timeline generator lets you customize every single section of the template. You can change the icons, the graphics, the colors, the backgrounds, and fonts easily.
It's easy to create a timeline in Visme. Simply start with a template, whether you're creating a project timeline or putting historical events in chronological order, insert your content, and customize the design before sharing.
Making a timeline with Visme is totally free. You can download or embed the finished graphic and use it however you want. If you would like to download it as a PDF with bleed marks, or an .html file, then you will need a Visme Standard Plan.
When creating a timeline, the information you want to include depends on the type of timeline. For example, when it comes to a project timeline, you want to include the project managers, team members, stakeholders in different tasks and the overall roadmap for taking the project to completion.
Yes, of course! All your Brand Kit assets are available in the timeline maker. You can apply your color palette, fonts and logo easily.
Your timeline deserve to be beautiful and so does the rest of your content
Create visual brand experiences whether you are a seasoned designer or a total novice.
Access hundreds of professionally designed slides to create your presentation.Learn more
Put together helpful printables like flyers, coupons, menus, brochures and more.Learn more
Engage your audience online with static and animated social media graphics.Learn more